Be A Good Neighbor

Be A Good Neighbor – A Community Resource Guide

Salt Lake City Living Means Being a Good Neighbor. This section is copied directly from the Salt Lake City website.

To view a PDF version of the Good Neighbor guide, click here.

Welcome to a place where you can learn about Hidden Hollow Nature Preserve, the Draw at Sugar House, and the history of some of the most beloved places in the Sugar House neighborhood of Salt Lake City.


City Council and County Council

Salt Lake City Mayor-Erin Mendenhall

District 6 City Council Dan Dugan

District 7 City Council Sarah Young

Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson

District 1 County Council Arlyn Bradshaw

District 4 County Council Ann Granato

District 7 SLC Liaison Hannah Barton

District 7 CIU Liberty Division Detective Samuel Fallows

Salt Lake City Public Library Executive Director Noah Baskett


Salt Lake City Government is committed to being accessible to people with disabilities. Questions or complaints about city accessibility can be addressed by the city’s ADA Coordinator. For information on other accessibility issues, contact the Access Utah Network.

SLC ADA Coordinator—Mayor’s Office: (801) 535-7110 (TTY Relay: 711);

Other ADA issues—Access Utah Network: (801) 533-4636 (TTY Relay: 711);




Call 2 Haul Bulk Waste Collection

Salt Lake City offers Call 2 Haul for large bulky items that don’t fit or belong in your weekly curbside containers, like old furniture, mattresses, tires, and electronic waste.

Check out the link to find an online form  or call the Waste & Recycling direct line at 801-535-6999.


Call 911 for immediate assistance (emergencies). Call the police department for non-emergency response. Contact your district’s Community Intelligence Unit (CIU) detective to report crime problems in your community.

Police Department Dispatch: (801) 799-3000 (non-emergency response and community detectives)

To submit a tip: Call dispatch (you may remain anonymous) or submit it online at


All of these fall under Civil Enforcement: 801-535-7225

Construction/permitting violations

Fences must be kept upright and in good condition; cannot be over 4 feet in front yard, 6 feet in back; a permit is required to construct a fence.

Housing No more than 3 unrelated adults (2 beyond one family) living together in a single housing unit; must have heat and water. House numbers are required, must be 3 inches tall and in a contrasting color.

Illegal Dumping The landfill (6030 West 1300 South) is available for excess materials (Monday-Saturday, 8am-4pm). It is illegal to dump waste on public property.

Junk & Outdoor Storage Yards are not to be used as storage areas for unlicensed vehicles, building materials, appliances or other items commonly known as junk.

Landlord/Tenant Program Click here for a copy of the complete ordinance.

Lighting Private property—Lights are not to shine or glare onto neighbor’s property.

Litter Must keep in garbage cans; not permitted to blow into street or neighbors’ yards; do not sweep into street.

Weeds Lawn or any weeds over 6 inches constitutes a violation; enforcement normally done April through October.

Yard Sales Households limited to 2 sales, no more than 3 days in length, per calendar year; signs must be removed within 3 days of sale.


Report suspected drug activity to the drug hotline.

Drug Hotline: (801) 799-DRUG (3784)


Most restrictions are set by the State; the City may set additional restrictions.

Questions—State Fire Marshall: (801) 284-6350
Violations—Police Department: (801) 799-3000


Out by 7am; may be out night before pickup; must be off the street by midnight on day of pickup.

Household (green bin) garbage cans—City Sanitation Customer Service: (801) 535-6999

Dumpster violations—call number on dumpster or Salt Lake County Health Department: (385) 468-3835

Residential recycling (blue bin) and yard waste (brown bin) services are provided as part of the city’s garbage service. Glass recycling is available for an extra fee or use a free drop-off site. Go to for details on recycling options. For availability of city services to business and multi-family units, call (801) 535-6438. High rise, business, and multi-family recycling is available through most waste haulers.

Residential Service—Streets and Sanitation Customer Service: (801) 535-6999

Business and multi-family units—Sustainability Office: (801) 535-6438


Must be cleaned immediately; call to report for cleanup; adopt a spot by covering graffiti with paint supplied by the City.

Off the Wall: (801) 972-7885


Do not throw paint, batteries, oil, cleaning supplies, chemicals, CFL and fluorescent tube light bulbs, or electronics in trash or include them with your annual cleanup. Tires can be taken to the landfill, limit of 4 tires at one time. Take hazardous waste and electronics to the hazardous waste office at the landfill or annual hazardous waste collections sites sponsored by:

Salt Lake County Health Department: (385) 468-3862

Disposing Batteries The Right Way

also visit for more information


Salt Lake City partners with the Salt Lake County Health Department, the health department works with local law enforcement agencies to enforce the county’s noise regulation.

In general, the noise regulation prohibits loud noise at night between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. The regulation also sets limits for extremely loud noise during daytime hours. For more information please visit

Daytime (7am-10pm) – Can be average of 10 decibels above neighborhood level not to spike above 100 decibels.

Nighttime (10pm-7am) – Can be average of 5 decibels above neighborhood level not to spike above 70 decibels. No construction unless permitted; no fireworks except holidays; no garbage collection, loading/unloading, street sweepers within 300 feet of residential.

Exemptions – Emergency services, HVAC systems, portable mechanical equipment during day, municipal approved events with special permission, public assemblies/crowds, and snow removal. See regulation for details.

Motor Vehicles – Must have muffler meeting mfr. specs.

Noise complaints – After hours/weekends: (801) 799-3000
Loud music from residential properties is a disturbance of the peace – Contact SLC Police Dispatch: (801) 799-3000


Do not burn trash. For patio fireplaces or culinary purposes, fire must be less than 3 feet wide and 2 feet tall, 25 ft from structures or combustible material, constantly attended, with extinguishing equipment ready. Special burns such as pit roasting need to be cleared by the Fire Department.

Fire Prevention Bureau: (801) 799-4150; Emergencies: 911


Public Property—No parking on street for more than 48 hours without moving; cannot park within 5 feet of driveway, 20 feet of crosswalk, 30 feet of stop sign, over sidewalk, on parking strip; only 1 car per licensed driver per household on street.

Parking and Enforcement: (801) 535-6628

Private property—No parking on lawn; vehicles must be on a hard surface and be registered. Permit required for installation of new concrete (see “Development”).

Civil Enforcement: (801) 535-7225


Property owner or tenant responsible; no weeds; must be 33 percent vegetation; vegetation/landscaping not over 18 inches high and non-continuous specimen plants may be as tall as 36 inches high, 10 feet away from the ends of the strip and do not form a continuous hedge; tree planting and trimming must be cleared by Urban Forester.

Civil Enforcement: (801) 535-7225

Urban Forester: (801) 972-7818
Conservation: (801) 483-6860


Raccoon and Skunk Abatement: Abatement is managed by the USDA Wildlife Service. Residents are asked to set cage-traps themselves, and call the USDA for pick up once a skunk or raccoon is trapped. Cage-traps can be purchased at local hardware stores or residents can rent one from County Animal Services (801-743-7045).

For more information regarding abatement and pick up please call USDA Wildlife Services: (385) 419-3405

For inquiries about a dead raccoon or skunk, please contact Salt Lake County Animal Services dispatch (801) 743-7045

Pests are attracted by water and food (pet food, fruit, garbage); bait/traps can be used for rats and mice; be cautious with use of poison; traps may be used for wild animals.


Dogs—No quantity limit. Must be licensed (fine for failure) with rabies vaccine. Cannot run loose, must be on leash. Owners must clean up feces weekly. Barking dogs are a nuisance.

Cats— No quantity limit. Must be licensed (fine for failure) with rabies vaccine. Residents may trap wild/nuisance cats.

Animal Services: 385-GOT-PETS (385-468-7387).


Do not flush down toilets or drains. Drop-off locations at the SLC Police Stations at 1040 West 700 South or 315 East 200 South. More information at:


Report abandoned shopping carts to the hotline. Carts are usually picked up within 1 week.

Hotline: (801) 446-7984

For Smith’s in Salt Lake City, please contact Romac Services, Inc. at 801-523-6498 – 7 days per week from 6 AM to 12 PM or email


Repair—Property owner responsible; assistance available through City; report cracks, root damage, raised sections.

Obstructions—Cannot block sidewalks with vehicles, storage, bushes, or trees.

Streets and obstructions: (801) 535-6934


Signs may not be placed on public property (parking strips, utility poles, etc.) without permission from City. Signs on private property are controlled by ordinance.

Information—Buzz Center: (801) 535-7700

Violations—Civil Enforcement: (801) 535-7225


Residents and businesses are responsible for removal of snow from entire sidewalk; enforcement begins 24 hours after snowfall; cannot shovel snow into street. Help clear crosswalks.

Sidewalk violations—Civil Enforcement: (801) 535-7225

Snow removal on streets—Streets & Sanitation Customer Service: (801) 535-6999